Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Weekend Holiday Wrap-Up

Orcas Island has been my go-to vacation spot for the past few years; since meeting Greg. His (now ex-) roommate's parents have a lovely, Victorian home on the island. They have become something like his second family. They are incredibly gracious and generous and we're so lucky to be able to visit them when we can. I've spent the last few Thanksgivings and 4th of July weekends up there. We also try to take random, quick weekend trips to get out of the city and get some relaxation-time in.
The house is on several acres of property, most of which is trees and grassy areas. So random deer and rabbit sightings are a regular occurance. They have a cute, little guest house on the lower lot. I awoke each morning to the doe and her two youngins, one of which was much better at hiding in the brush but always seemed to get left behind.

Several bird feeders made it easy to spot the Goldfinches and Woodpeckers. And the occasional hummingbird would make an appearance. I spent a lot of time watching these little guys. Behind them, the backdrop was full of trees and a gorgeous view of the ocean. It was a wonderful way to spend my 36th birthday. Sleeping in, taking quick naps, getting lots of fresh air and just plain relaxing!

A friend of the family invited us out for some early fireworks on the evening of the 3rd. He owns a 50-foot sailboat and had a group chartering the boat for the evening. So he let us jump on board with them. After a 40 minute trip, we anchored out off the shore, surrounded by other boats and vessels. We made it just in time for the show to begin and it was spectacular! No better view than that! It was pretty chilly on the ride back, but totally worth it!

The family always has a big BBQ on the 4th and friends from all over the island come out to enjoy the spread and gorgeous view. There are usually several rounds of Bocce and this year, the added fun of a compound bow and a dinosaur target. I couldn't even get the thing to pull all the way back. So I chose to take photos of the boys, instead. The dinosaur was only slightly injured, but I don't think he'll be back anytime soon!
It was such a perfect vacation! So relaxing, no rush to be anywhere, no crowds. I'm so glad we decided to head up on Thursday night so we could wake up on Friday already on island, instead of fighting the crowds and missing a day. We'll be heading back in August to sell our crafts at the Orcas Library Fair. Can't wait!

11 comments:

  1. Oh I am so jealous, what fun you had, I love the Islands haven't been in quite some time :(

    T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a lovley place to holiday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Sounds like my kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaaaaaw baby deers!!
    i love those nautical photos. they'd make some very cool photo blocks. i'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone! it's absolutely stunning out there. I'll have to post some of the beach photos later tonight :)

    @ Kelli...already in the works. I have some similar ones from the last couple years, along with fishing boats. But of course, all the manly ones sold first! So I need to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a truly amazing holiday! Glad you had such a nice time. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos - they're really great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful spot - love the deer photos... I have never seen a deer in the flesh before... however we have lots of kangaroos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh kangaroos!! I'd love to see those hopping around at random

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to read and look at your photos! Sounds like a beautiful place, I think I would love it there. :) And the bow - how cool! Glad you enjoyed your birthday and holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails