Sunday, February 20, 2011

Smartphone Photography

I love my DSLR camera. It takes great pics and I have several lenses for different looks. But it's heavy and clunky. I love my Holga and my Lomo cameras. The cool light links and coloring effects of the film are great! But it's film. And requires development, time and money!

I really love my iPhone camera! I love the photo apps that give me an endless stream of options for processing. Plus I get the instant gratification of digital photography.

So I wanted to share with you some of my favorite apps and a tip about taking macro. First, the apps:


Hipstamatic  ($1.99 then $0.99 each add-on pak)

The only downside, I would say, is that you have to take the photo in app. You can't take the pic with your iphone camera and edit it later. The app is a bit slow to load and process. However, it takes really great pics and has so many cool combos you can create by mixing the lenses, films and flashes. 

A cool feature of this app is the ability to buy 4x4 prints of your photos taken with the app! I have ordered a few times and they look great!





Diptic ($1.99)


This one is pretty cool! You can choose from several different layouts. Then arrange photos on your phone into the different slots. You can do some minor editing (brightness/contrast) once they're arranged. I have this one of Katie as my desktop at work :)







TiltShift Generator ($0.99)


I don't use this one as often as I used to. But I still love the effects you can create. Taken at the right distance and angle, large objects can look miniature when edited with this app...just like a real Tilt-Shift lens.







Instagram (FREE)


Similar to Hipstamatic, it gives several options for preset edits. It doesn't have as many variations, but you are able to use any photo in your phones library to edit. You can also upload to social media sites from the app. And you can like other members' photos within the Instagram community.






Now that you've got the apps, you just need to take some photos! I love playing with macro photography. It's just so interesting to be able to see every detail in an object. So I carry around a pop-up magnifying glass ($4 at your local drugstore; near the glasses). You just put the glass in front of your smartphone camera lens when taking the shot. You'll be able to get pretty close to the object, depending on the lens' magnification.



Check out the difference between the photos of the $20 bill I took.










  
What are your favorite smartphone camera apps?

5 comments:

  1. What a great post! I love hipstamatic - did you see the new version they came out with- Soho Gold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew there are so many apps for photography on your iphone?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool! Are there any similar apps for Android phones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a Droid but my friends do. They recommend either Retro Camera Plus or Photowonder

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails