Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Oh To Be Young Again!

...And have your whole life ahead of you.

Lately, I've been thinking about what I would do differently, if I could do it all again.

I've had jobs since I was 12.  I never did too well in school; I had a hard time focusing on subjects. So I knew college wasn't in my future. I got a great job and my first apartment right after I graduated. A year later, I decided to try out Art College. I didn't last long. Working 3 jobs and taking classes at night ran my body down pretty quickly. And once I quit, I never went back.

I think if I could do it again, I probably would try to finish that Art school training. I don't know if it would've done much. The way technology changed so quickly, it would've been hard to keep up. But I think I would at least try harder.

My niece is graduating high school this June. She applied to several colleges and got into just about every one that she wanted. Last week, she chose the school she would attend -- Lewis & Clark College in Oregon. I'm so proud of her. And I'm so happy for her!

I think Oregon is a great place to live. I just know that she'll be happy there. And the fact that it's a private college is a major bonus! I know it's scary for her to leave what she knows and all her friends. But I think it's a great leap that she's taking.

Check out this awesome cruiser bike she picked up to go between classes. Isn't it adorable?! Now just picture it decked out with a cute basket and a retro bell. So cute!


Would you do anything differently, if you could?
Study harder? Party harder? Travel more?

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to your niece, ah the excitement of it all. I think if I could go back I would have stuck through the first university I went to. Sadly I let racist shuns drive me away without putting up much of a fight. I then tried art school and was left in the poor house without completing as well. I'm not truly complaining as I love life and have many blessings, but i think braving through school the first time wouldve given me a heck of a lot more confidence instead of gaining it through hard knocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, really? That's awful :( It's tough when you're young, though, because you don't always know what you can or should stand up against. And I think most times you end up fighting the battles that you shouldn't worry so much about.

    I feel like I'm happy with where I'm at or where I'm heading. And I don't know that finishing art school would've done much for me. But I also think it would've given me different connections or experiences. And maybe that could've landed me into a career where I really felt I could grown. My current (and long-lasting) career still feels like a temporary thing. I just don't have a passion for it. But I'm turning 37 this year, so that makes me feel sad that I don't absolutely love what I do for a living..it's just a really nice paycheck :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your niece and I am totally drolling over her bike.

    What would I do differently? I would go to college for something different, so I could be a history teacher now, instead of having a business degree. And I would travel more, as much as I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have studied harder. Better grades provides more opportunities. I love my degree so I wouldn't have changed it I just would have worked extra hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah yes, travel! With all the debt I racked up as an early 20-something, I wish it would've been on travel instead of whatever clothes or other items I spent it on!

    Now that my body is breaking down on me, travel is getting harder to do. And of course with new adult responsibilities, my money isn't so easily spent.

    One day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to your niece! If I could do college all over again, this might seem random, but I would not date bad boys. Honestly, almost every aspect of my college experience would have been about 15 times better without all that unnecessary heartbreak--I would have studied more, hung out with more people, gone to more events like certain internships and field trips, and overall smiled more. But than again, at least now I know it's better to be alone and happy then with a selfish person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did the four year thing, but if i had the chance to do it over, i'd do...more. (pay more attention during those studio classes, make bigger things, try more mediums.) i definitely could have gotten more out of that time.
    but since i very nearly refused to go at all, i am extremely glad that i did. sometimes you just have to get the hell out of michigan, ya know?

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails