Thursday, May 26, 2011

Etsy Seller Q&A -- Meet Julie Ann Art!

{Robot Love Greeting Card}
1. Why don't you start by telling the readers a little bit about yourself.

Hi! I'm Julie. I 'm a product photographer by day, but my real passion has become my online business, Julie Ann Art. Designing greeting cards, promoting my Etsy shop, making my blog an inspirational place, they are all things I take great pride in.

2. When did you first start creating illustrations?

Well, my artistic style started out very differently than what it has developed into. When I started my business three years ago, my store offered original paintings and prints. I got into greeting cards eventually but I was still struggling to find a style that fit me. There was a time when I put down the paint brush and started sketching. I'm now to the point where I feel like I have a recognizable style that is my own. I think that's an important thing for every artist to have.

{Love 8x10 Print}
3. Describe your studio...

A mess? I wish I could say it was like one of those pretty studios you see on the Apartment Therapy, but at this point it is the bare minimum of what I need. I blame this somewhat on the fact that we recently moved and the decoration of the studio has been put on the back burner to the kitchen and living room.

4. What made you decide to turn your craft into a business?

I have always been an artistic person, but it wasn't till I first heard of Etsy that I thought I could possibly sell some of my work. I went to the store, bought a ton of canvases, paints, paint brushes, and basically locked myself in my room making painting after painting to build up inventory.

5. What else do you like to do when you're not creating beautiful things?


On the weekends I like to go for bike rides with my boyfriend and our dog. Sometimes we will ride to the beach, or cruise around the neighborhood hunting for treasures at garage sales. It's really important to be able to step away from the computer and have that time to not think about my shop or my blog.


6. What has been your favorite crafty project thus far (big or small)?

{Cityscape Greeting Card}

Decorating our house! It is a never-ending project but it has been really fun. We have done a combination of new, used and DIY items. I think it's so important to live in a space that you enjoy and feel comfy cozy in. This has been my first opportunity to really decorate a home for myself and although it was overwhelming (because we started from complete scratch) it has been so rewarding to come home every day to a place I love.

7. What is the most difficult and your most favorite part of crafting as a business?

The most difficult part is definitely the promotion aspect. It is so hard and so time consuming and until you get it down, you have no idea if what you're doing is working. I am always always thinking of what I can do to promote, what will work better.

The favorite part is how rewarding it feels every time a card of mine is ordered. The fact that some one is buying something I made to give to some one they care about is so special to me. I don't think that feeling will ever get old. 

8. What is your favorite: a) scent? b) movie? c) blog/website? d) guilty pleasure?

{Did you know I miss you? Card}
a) Apple pie fresh out of the oven. Yum!
b) Tough one! I've seen Vanilla Sky 100 times. And I'm a Harry Potter freak.
c) Etsy! I'm an Etsy addict and I'm ok with it.
d) Reality TV shows like The Hills and The Bachelor. SO guilty!

9. Lastly, do you have any advice for fellow crafters/entrepreneurs just starting out?
 
Just to have patience. It takes a lot of time and effort to create an online presence. You have to be prepared to put in the hours, not just to make your product, but to promote it. Promotion can be done on facebook, twitter, a blog, flickr, etc....all the social networking sites add up and before you know it it's 2AM on a Tuesday night and your eyes hurt from being on the computer all night. The best part of all this though is that you are doing it because you love your product and you want it to be successful.

Thanks, Julie! I love her artwork, isn't it so cute?! You can find her all over the interwebz! Check the links below! And check back next Thursday for another featured Etsy seller Q&A!

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this! And I love the cityscape greeting card that was featured. Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the feature! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great interview and Julie sounds wonderful. I love her robot love card:) Its super cute! Kisses, my dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her illustrative style! And I'm with her on the un-decorated studio. Its so much easier to work when there's just the perfect amount of mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the interview most. I also inspired and motivated.
    Thanks from: Clipping Path

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails