Friday, May 13, 2011

R.I.P. To The Jingle Writers Of The Past

{felt tv wings by LuluLyna on Etsy}
Where have all the jingle writers gone?

Did they finally pursue their life-long dream of forming a punk/ska band?

Did they change careers altogether?

Did they become so discouraged that they rock themselves to sleep with a face full of tears and a mug full of Jim Bean?

These days it seems more TV commercials are featuring songs by "real" artists instead of a jingle written by some no-name, ad agency type. Some are covers of popular tunes; some are new songs from unknown/undiscovered talent. I kinda miss the old days of the catchy jingle that would get stuck in your head. My favorite is still Oscar Meyer's "B-O-L-O-G-N-A" tune.

Don't get me wrong, I like discovering new artists by watching a commercial. I just wonder what happened to all those poor schmucks who used to write that stuff.

Do you have a favorite TV commercial jingle?

P.S. Happy Friday the 13th! Blogger has been a bit crazy lately and decided to delete a bunch of my posts & comments! Hooray!

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! I feel like the only people that still do jingles nowadays are local companies. Personally, I sang the Toys R Us song for about 3 straight years when I was a kid so I think that was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right, I don't think I realized it until you mentioned it. I use to like the bandaid song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_PxcJAog0A
    Still makes me smile. aNd the Bologna song too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm passing the versatile blogger award to you! You can claim it at http://aalexandrajewelry.blogspot.com/

    Enjoy!

    Ayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh yeah! The Toys R Us song was written by one of my favorite writers -- James Patterson!

    And I totally forgot about Band Aid!

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails