Thursday, June 16, 2011

Etsy Seller Q&A - Meet Beneath the Rowan Tree

{Flutterby Natural Silk Streamer}
Why don't you start by telling the readers a little bit about yourself.

I am a working mom of one 5 year old daughter (in the process of adopting 1-2 more!). I am an ordained minister by vocation, and serving in a small northern Ontario time which provides endless outdoor adventures and joys for our small family. My husband runs a print shop here in town and we share our home (and beds) with Murray and Archie (the Papillon and Sheltie).

You have a wide variety of items in your shop, which is your favorite to make?

Hmm. Hard to say, I *only* make what I want and love to make, as a rule. I am passionate about dyeing, though, and have to say that after four years and close to 10 000 pieces of silk, I still get excited when it is time to dye!
 
{Patchwork Thistle Cottage}
Describe your studio... 

My 'studio' is wherever I go. I am always doing something with my hands. I dye everything in our kitchen sink. And I do have our sunroom/ dining room converted to a workspace, shared with my daughter~ our 'art room' which faces the lake and is bright evenon a gray day.

How soon after you started creating did you decide to turn your craft into a business?


My business started with dyed and hand painted clothing for children, several months after I made my daughter a bunch of new clothing... but I have always dabbled in creative handcrafts, so the answer is many years and only a few months, both!

 
What else do you like to do when you're not working on your crafts?
{Heart of the Mermaid Hand Dyed PlaySilk}

Get outside. Every day, I try and get outside with child and dogs and play. My life is basically work, creating, kid time. And very little sleep.

Are their any Etsy sellers you admire or are inspired by?

I have had the pleasure of getting to know so many wonderful and talented folks over the past four years. Many of them are colleagues on the Natural Kids Team, like Sara of Woolies, Kristi of Tickety Bu and Rebecca of Nushkie. Others are people I admire for their tireless creativity and some for their marketing savvy!
 
 What is the most difficult and your most favorite part of crafting as a business?

Most difficult? Eczema and dye stained hands! Honestly, though, for me, it is packing orders... My favourite part of business is the marketing~ designing ads, networking~ the creative and social stuff.

What is your favorite: a) scent? b) movie? c) blog/website? d) guilty pleasure?

a) rosemary   b) Gone With the Wind  c) I love to play at Wordle.com  d) maple cookies


{Perfectly Plum Needle Book}
Lastly, do you have any advice for fellow crafters/entrepreneurs just starting out?

Slow and steady~ be patient, make positive connections and stick with it. Treat every customer like your first. Do what you love.

Thank you for sharing with us! If you want to see more, check out these links!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails