Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter DIY | Tic Tac Toe Game

My apologies for posting this so late! I had wanted to share this before Easter but time got away from me. Maybe it's a crafty DIY you can make on Easter day! (You could also try all kinds of variations with holidays and special events!)

Without further ado, here is my Easter Tic Tac Toe game tutorial!



What you'll need:
  • a wood plaque (I got mine from Michael's for 99 cents)
  • polymer clay
  • acrylic paints in Easter colors
  • exacto knife
  • paint brushes
  • sandpaper or sanding block

Tip: You can make this kid-friendly by swapping the polymer clay for Crayola Magic (no baking required)

Start by sanding painting your wood plaque so it's smooth and won't leave splinters. Next, paint the plaque with your base color - I chose pink! Give it a couple coats to make sure it's covered well. You can paint a border to bring out the detail of the plaque and give it depth.



Once your plaque dries, it's time to add the Tic Tac Toe squares. I used a ruler and a pencil to get even spacing. Paint your squares with alternating colors. I also added some pearl green as a border for the squares (not pictured).


Roll out some white clay into a 1/2 inch thick log. Use your Exacto knife to cut 10 even sized pieces.

Roll each piece into a ball. Flatten one end on a hard surface and shape the top into an oval. 

Next, pinch 1/2 of the pieces at the top (these will be your bunnies).


Roll out a smaller log about 1/4 inch thick. Cut 10 even pieces and roll them into balls. 

Roll out each ball and flatten. Shape the flattened piece around your squished bunny heads -- now they have ears!

I chose to add a small pin in the bottom of each game piece. This makes it easier to paint them once cooked. But you could skip that step and just cook them on a flat surface.

Bake your pieces in the oven according to the instructions on your polymer clay wrapper.

Once they're baked and cooled, it's time to paint! I used yellow for my chicks and pink for the bunnies. You could paint them all different colors if you felt like it ;)

I added some darker pink as the insides of the bunny ears. 

Don't forget to add their cute little faces!


Tip: To make this a portable game, add a pin in the bottom before baking. Once cooled, put a dab of hot glue on some craft wire and insert it into the game piece. 

Use a Dremel tool to drill small holes into each square of the game board. Make sure it's just large enough to fit the wire, but not so big that it will fall out!



Once your painted pieces have dried - enjoy a quick game of Easter Tic Tac Toe!

8 comments:

  1. This is just too cute :)- Tia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tia! I had a lot of fun making this one :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely craft. I'm bookmarking it for future use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :) It would also be cute with Xmas, Halloween or thanksgiving characters! fat little turkeys, maybe?!

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    My name is Danielle and I just thought I would let you know that I have featured this DIY in my 2013 Easter Pinterest Picks on my blog. I hope this is okay and feel free to check it out here: glitter-bug-blog.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    Love your blog and this post!

    Just wanted to let you know I have featured (and linked) this post on my blog, www.savingmummy.com.au for Easter projects.

    Hope this is okay? Julia :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails