Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

40 Before 40

We've seen these lists all over lately. Call it what you want- bucket list, leap list; it's all the same. You choose a specific goal year or span of years, make a list of what you want to accomplish in that time and try your best to check everything off the list.

(me at age 30 - kicking some dude in the crotch - he was trying to win a contest)

Some are really adventurous, some are just to get people more organized, some are just for fun. My friend Kelli has a list to visit all 50 states by the time she's 30 - she's pretty close to meeting that goal!

Fat Elvis sandwich on Vegas strip

When I hit the big 3-8 a couple weeks ago, I decided it was time to set some small goals. 40 things to do before I turn 40! I checked out other lists done by bloggers and realized I've already done those things. (I've lived in Alaska, Hawaii, gone to Mexico & Vegas, snowboarded, rode horses on the beach, gone sailing, performed on stage, taken helicopter rides, etc.) So I wanted to make a list of things I haven't yet accomplished or tried. Something simple to fit in my schedule -- obviously I won't be able to backpack around Europe in the next 2 years, maybe if I quit my job, but I'm not ready to do that. Plus, backpacking around Europe is not something that has ever appealed to me!

on stage with Fred Armisen - before he "put a bird on it"

I make lists all the time. Lists for crafts to make, ideas, groceries and other shopping, random thoughts...etc. 40 things in two years shouldn't be too hard to check off and complete. So I will randomly check in with blog posts referencing the 40B40 and let you know if I actually make it to the end!

Kauai, Hawaii

Here is my list:

1. Learn a new language (I forget most of the Japanese I studied in school - I want to try Italian)
2. Take a cooking class
3. Perfect a dessert recipe
4. Take a fencing class
5. Swing on a trapeze
6. Run a 5k
7. Run a 10k
8. Complete the Warrior Dash
9. Learn a ballroom dance
10. Take a hot air balloon ride
11. Ride in a bi-plane
12. Take a train trip (I did this when I was a kid, but I want to do it again!)
13. See the Arches in Utah
14. Visit the Grand Canyon
15. Write/send more letters in the mail
16. Learn to knit or crochet
17. Upgrade to a nicer SLR camera
18. Finish the rap video
19. Take a pottery class
20. Plant a full garden
21. Reconnect with my biological father
22. Start a retirement fund - actually save money
23. Get braces (I'm getting Invisalign!)
24. Visit Yellowstone (going in September!)
25. Get to and maintain 140lbs weight
26. Eat healthier
27. Get something published
28. Invest in stocks
29. Reach 1000 blog followers (just hit 400!)
30. Reach 100 sales in BOTH Etsy shops
31. Hang my photography at an art show
32. Bikini wax (I want to try it at least once!)
33. Make a pizza from scratch
34. Go to my highschool reunion (it's 20 years this fall!)
35. Learn how to use my sewing machine
36. Learn how to use Adobe Illustrator
37. Complete the 30-day Yoga Challenge
38. Try to go 30 days without sugar
39. Learn how to swim - not just doggy paddle
40. Go on a plane again (this means I need to fix my ear problem...yikes!)

How about you? Have you made or completed a list of life goals? Link in the comments if you want to share yours! If not, what would be on your list? 

6 comments:

  1. Great list! I want to get Invisalign too. Ooo a ballroom dance sounds fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be getting Invisalign trays in just a couple weeks. I'm kinda nervous, but I think it's gonna be great! I'm not doing it for vanity - I actually like my crooked teeth. But my bite is so off, it's wearing my teeth down and if I don't fix it now, I'll end up needing several more crowns or root canals!

      Delete
    2. I have a cross bite in the middle, top of my teeth and it's mostly just been cute for most of my life, lol, but it's starting to change the shape of my mouth/face and it's kind of getting awkward in general.

      Delete
  2. Cool! I was planning to make a similar list too, but then it slipped my mind. Your posts reminded me of it. I'll do it this time before I forget again! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Do it! :) (in case you needed another reminder)

      Delete
  3. I will have to make my list after my daughter grows up. Right now my list looks like this 1: Clean the garage 2. Fill in the holes my brothers dog dug! 3. Put money into my car 4. fix the toilet 5. win the lottery to pay for my kids college- 6. Clean the carpet..... and on and on...

    Tia :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails