Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Foxy Friends: Sketchinc

I've been stalking my next Foxy Friend for a while! Her Etsy shop is full of bright, gorgeous colors and funky geometric shapes. Check out the interview below to learn more about Becky's fabulous style and her Sketchinc shop!
 
Why don't you start by telling the readers a little bit about yourself.

My name is Becky and I started Sketchinc as a part time creative outlet which has now become a full time gig. I was born and raised in the east of England in Constable Country. I have a BA Fine Art degree in painting and trained as a High School Art and Design Teacher. Working for myself has always been a dream of mine and Sketchinc has made that happen…I couldn’t be happier.
You have a variety of products in your Etsy shop, which is your favorite to make?

I enjoy everything I make but I guess my favorite would be the Harlequin Bunny brooches as they always make me smile when the final coat of varnish goes on.  Every Bunny is drawn free hand and painted to order.  This is why I love handmade! Every product is unique and people appreciate the time and love you put into them.
Describe your studio...
I work in a south facing large conservatory conversion. It has wonderful natural lighting and a beautiful view of the garden and corn fields beyond.  Until recently I lived and worked in a cozy but dark old Welsh cottage so its quite a treat to be able to not only work longer without reaching for a light switch but take the studio outside and enjoy the lovely weather.


How soon after you started creating did you decide to turn your craft into a business?

I have been creating all of my life but the opportunity to take my work to the next level never seemed to happen at the right time. Last year I was telling my Mother how I was running out of space in the cottage to store my paintings and art equipment and was hoping she was going to offer some storage space at her place, instead she mentioned a website called Etsy for Artists and Crafters and that I should try and sell my work to make room. 

I opened my Shop in March last year and sold nothing until September. I played around with improving my photos and descriptions and within a month my shop was empty. I added the brooches I made for friends and my homemade Christmas decorations in October.  By January I had created a brand image with a wide variety of products taken from my piles of sketchbooks. Sketch.inc was featured in a few mainstream Magazines and Blogs in the U.K, Australia and the U.S and my sales rocketed. On the 1st March I gave up my day job and became self-employed. Running your own business is not easy but it’s a wonderful feeling to make a product which will be loved for its handmade quality and that all your efforts are appreciated and benefit your bank account and not someone else’s.

What else do you like to do when you're not working on your crafts?

Creating takes up the majority of my time but I do allocate a ‘ME DAY’ once a week to re-energize.  I love to roam vintage clothes shops and surf eBay for second hand clothes and make them my own.  Pets have always featured heavily in my life and none more so than a ginger and white Cat we like to call Pickle. As a Kitten she was jealous of my brothers Dog and became a little obsessed with his leash. 3 years later she happily walks along the beach in her pink cat harness on warm summer evenings, always ready to jump into my bag if a predator approaches


What made you decide on your shop name?

The name Sketch.inc is a combination of my two favorite mediums; Sketching and Pen & ink.  However my not so small obsession with Sketchbooks is another contributing factor.


Eco-Friendly Bear Brooch

What is the most difficult and your most favorite part of crafting as a business?

By far the most difficult part is finding the time to play with ideas. I have been creating for a long time but never to a schedule. At Art School we were encouraged to procrastinate, now I have to speed up the daydreaming and get to the point…not as easy as it sounds!

The biggest perk for me is the freedom to determine the course of my day. No commuting to a bland city office at 6am.  Instead I enjoy the simple bliss of rolling out of bed with a coffee and banana around 8ish and making the 23 steps it takes to reach the studio at the back of the house…absolutely priceless!
What is your favorite: a) scent? b) movie? c) blog/website? d) guilty pleasure?

a) Freshly cut grass
b) It would be a toss-up between ‘Mona Lisa Smiles’ and ‘Frida’ 
c) thisisnthappiness.com & ffffound.com  - Fantastically random daily inspiration
d) Hot Chocolate


Lastly, do you have any advice for fellow crafters/entrepreneurs just  starting out?

Don’t give up!

With every ‘paycheck’ job I have had over the years I kept a sketchbook journal of all my creative ideas in my back pocket/ handbag/ briefcase.  Don’t let your creative Monster go to sleep! Be honest! Create what you love! And learn your way around a camera.

Don’t be a stranger and say hi or follow me here…


___________________________________________________________________________________

Be sure to check out the links posted above to find out more about Becky and her awesome artwork/crafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails