Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Foxy Friends: Very Creative Creations

Today's foxy friend is Ann Marie of Very Creative Creations on Etsy. Her shop is full of recycled jewelry and decor. Find out more, below!

Blister Pearl cameo necklace

Why don't you start by telling the readers a little bit about yourself?
My name is Ann Marie, and I'm a wife and working mom to 2 big girls and 1 little boy. I live in New York wine country! I'm an IT Project Manager by day and create very creative creations by night! I got started as an antique and collectible dealer who just couldn't let the less than perfect go. So these items entered into the process to get a new lease on life in one of my many creative creations...

You have a wide variety of items in your shop, which is your favorite to make?
I think this is the hardest question to answer since I only make things that I love. The garden art/stakes are the most fun to make.

Bunny Patch bird feeder
Describe your studio...
What you mean my dining room table? I have a studio area in the basement but it is so disorganized that is just storage for right now. Plus my son will not let me work down there since he is not allowed down stairs since that is also my husband’s warehouse area.



How soon after you started creating did you decide to turn your craft into a business?
Actually I was already a part of my husband’s antique and collectible business when we started to accumulate a lot of things that were not saleable in his marketplace due to their condition so we were looking for a way to turn these items over without having to just throw them out. I learned to sew and craft when I was a child growing up in an extended family that liven through the depression so things did not just get discarded if they could no longer be used as originally intended. So it just sort of happened that I began creating and we took these newly created “old” items to his shows. I sold some here and there but was looking for my own outlet for specifically handmade item and found Etsy. I did not think much about it jumped in with both feet about 2 years ago but nothing really happened until recently since I had not been really working my shop as need for your shop to succeed. You know promoting – FB, Twitter, Blog, etc. Good photos, you know all the stuff….

Floral cameo necklace
What else do you like to do when you're not working on your crafts?
Yard, garage, estate sales. My younger daughter plays soccer and lacrosse year round so I love to attend her games. Goalies are a special breed.

What made you decide on your shop name?
Ooohh this one was easy, it was what everyone would say when they saw what I had done. They would say that’s “very creative” so when it came time to name my shop it became Very Creative Creation since I ran out of letters for the “s” but my actual shop name is Very Creative Creations.

What is the most difficult and your most favorite part of crafting as a business?
My most difficult part of my business is promotion since I was not raised as a “horn blower” so it is hard for me to promote my items and say look at me, look at what I create, look at what I have done. I tend to be quieter about my items but I am learning how and what it takes to get noticed so that people get to know me and my products.

My most favorite part of my business is the hunt for raw materials because the raw materials tell me what I will be creating next. I will be introducing some new lines shortly as I have recently come across a great source of new materials. So stay tuned for that…

Vintage spoon bracelet
What is your favorite:
a) Scent? Vanilla
b) Movie? GI Jane – one strong lady
c) blog/website?RetroChalet’s blog
d) Guilty pleasure? – Wine, chocolate and a good book

Lastly, do you have any advice for fellow crafters/entrepreneurs just starting out?
If you love it stick with it. The learning curve is immense but not unconquerable. Pick one thing and work on that thing for certain duration whatever that one thing is and then put it away and work on the next thing. This way you will not become overwhelmed with everything.

Check out Very Creative Creations online and be sure to visit her shop for more fabulous finds!
www.etsy.com/shop/verycreativecreation
verycreative-verycreativecreations.blogspot.com
twitter.com/vcconetsy
www.facebook.com/VeryCreativeCreations

1 comment:

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails