Saturday, January 31, 2015

Pinterest Wins and Fails: Day 6

A running joke Greg and I have with each other is that the closer we get to buying our future farm, the more "granola" we are becoming.

But I promise one thing, I will never go full granola  - I will always shave my armpits!!

Also, I doubt I'll ever fully cut out processed foods because I don't think I can make Skittles as well as Mars, Inc. can!

This Pinterest DIY test is full-on granola - the kind you mix with your yogurt. ;)

Day 6: Homemade Granola

First, let me say that Pinterest is FILLED with granola cereal and bar recipes. I haven't tried the bars yet, but they seem fairly simple, so I think that will be my next attempt. 

You can find all different kinds of recipes for granola, including no-bake bars. The granola I made is baked for about 20 minutes and is a perfect topping for yogurt. You can also use it as a cereal, especially if you use more honey to create clusters. 

Since my first attempt, I have made 4 more batches of granola, all with tweaks for flavor. My favorites so far is vanilla honey almond. I think the next one I'll try will include peanut butter.

So if you couldn't already tell - this DIY was a total WIN! It is soooooo easy to make your own granola. I actually want to kick myself for not trying it sooner. When you think about how expensive a box of granola cereal can be (and you hardly get anything for that price!) it's really quite crazy that I've wasted so much money on granola over the years!

I will never, EVER buy pre-made granola again! If you buy your oats at Costco in bulk, it ends up being so cheap to make. 

My recipe included:
  • coconut oil (I have a large tub of it)
  • vanilla extract
  • almonds (I bought whole and cut since it's cheaper than buying pre-sliced)
  • honey
  • 4 cups of rolled oats
I would highly suggest you run to the kitchen and try making your own batch. I promise you will be so glad that you did!


Have you made your own granola cereal or bars? If so, which recipe is your favorite?

Come back tomorrow for my last post of this series and my attempt at a Galaxy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails