Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Week of Pinterest Wins and Fails: Day 7

This is my last post in this blog series. I hope you enjoyed the last few posts and found something you might want to try for yourself.

My last DIY project from Pinterest is one that has been popular for the last few years, especially amongst hipsters. From purses to tights to shoes, this technique has been done to death. But that didn't stop me from trying because I still think it's gorgeous!

Day 7: Galaxy Painting (on canvas)

Before we dig into the results, let me be honest by stating I am NOT a painter! My main crafts are sculpting polymer clay and hand embroidery. Every time I paint something, I struggle with it. One day I hope to learn some basic techniques so I don't end up with something that looks like it was done by a third grader. But that time is not now; onto the results!


There are a gazillion posts of finished projects and tutorials for galaxy painting. I looked at three different ones to get a better idea of how the artists achieved their final look. After a while, I gave up on research and decided to dive in and just try it.

I don't think I did a fabulous job. In fact, I know exactly where I screwed up and that was in the blending of the colors. Nevertheless, I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out. And I don't think it's too horrible for a first attempt. I already have ideas on how I will tweak it when I try again. (Like start with a black canvas instead of painting a white canvas black.)


So I will call this Pinterest find a Win. Don't let some of the gorgeous final results discourage you from trying. Maybe start on paper until you have a good technique down. I would add more purples and reds to my next attempt. Either way, just have fun with it!



Have you tried a galaxy painting on anything yet? If so, do you have any tips for making it easier?

That brings us to the end of my Week of Pinterest Wins and Fails. Thank you for taking the time to read through and definitely let me know if you try any of these DIYs for yourself. I'd love to see the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails