Saturday, February 7, 2015

Craft Room Makeover



Last summer I embarked on a huge project - updating my craft room! Before Katie passed away, the room was basically her area with my stuff taking up about a quarter of the space. Due to a major lack of storage, most of my craft supplies lived in large plastic tubs which I kept stored in the pantry.

After Katie's stuff was moved out, the room was much larger and so empty. It was also depressing because my little fur monster was the one who gave it life and made it warm and inviting. I decided a drastic change was in order. I figured some bright colors would make it more cheerful. And allowing myself to take over the space would re-purpose it into a true craft room, instead of being thought of "that place where my fur-baby used to sleep".

Besides brightening up the room, my main goals for the space were:
  • create a cozy sitting area where I can read or work on embroidery (or nap, let's be honest!)
  • add a rug to bring in some warmth
  • add storage with fabric bins to hide the clutter
  • add vertical storage within reach of my craft desk
  • organize supplies so I know where everything is!
 

The first thing I did was sell off the giant hutch that held my computer and all of the junk I stored in there. I also got rid of the huge, dark brown, 8 foot folding table. That thing was a beast that took up way too much room!

I then took on the daunting task of going through tubs of craft supplies and getting rid of the ones dedicated to "projects I'll try one day" that I haven't gotten around to in years!

(Unfortunately, I didn't get a great "before" picture, but trust me, it was a mess of different wood pieces in all shades. The photos above were taken during the purging stage!)

I picked up a few storage cube bookcases and fabric storage bins. I also bought a large, white laminated sheet of plywood from Home Depot. Greg cut it down and added trim to the cut sides to make a table top over 2 of the bookcases.

I also picked up a sheet of white pegboard for my vertical craft supply storage. This is probably my most favorite part, because the things I use the most are within reach when I'm sitting at the desk.




Because I had some large pieces of brown wood furniture that were actually solid and nice, I decided to keep those and move them to the other wall. Basically my space is now broken up into two parts: the white/pink/blue craft space and the cozy nook with warm tones. For the warmer side, I bought fabric bins in pale yellow and blue instead of the bright colors of the craft side.

I brought a plush, shag rug in white and made my little reading nook. I picked up a cute little chair and ottoman that fit perfectly in that space.


After these photos were taken, I completed a painting project on the blue shelves; you can see the before & after HERE!

I've also since replaced the desk chair and my sitting chair. The white drafting chair was so cute, but not comfortable to sit on for long periods of time. The sitting chair was a little tough and the back was too short to lean into and really get cozy. So I found this comfy black with gold peacock patterned chair at Pier 1. It doesn't match my white + hot pink + blue, but it's super cozy!

I also removed the pink paper from the back of the vintage hutch and moved it over to the small wall by the door. It currently holds my vintage camera collection and small shrine to Katie.

The walls have still not been fully decorated, I have a lot more to add. I also have a couple of painting projects on the existing shelves that I hope to complete this summer. Another future project is to make my own ottoman. The pink cube is a bit flimsy and I use it more as my footrest under my desk, for when I want to stretch my legs.

The biggest issue I still have is with my lighting. This is a rental house, so I can't make all of the changes I'd like to make (or at least, I don't want to spend my own money on it). But I am always on the look out for a brighter overhead light. I also need to pick up a floor lamp and small side table for my nook area, right now it's not the best light for embroidery and there's no place to set down the supplies I'm working with.

But for now, it's cozy and functional and I can finally get to all of my craft supplies thanks to all of the extra storage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails