I chose to do a cactus desert terrarium because I think cacti are pretty darn interesting plants! Just handle them carefully, you may want protective gloves when planting them or getting them out of their containers.
Here is what you will need for this type of terrarium:
- cactus plants & other succulents
- pebbles (small and large)
- sand (store bought, not from a beach!)
- soil (I used special soil for cactus planting_
- container - glass or terra cotta
- decorative pieces
- charcoal (if using a lid)
- Wash and dry your glass container
- Add a small layer of pebbles to the bottom of your container. (If using a lid, add your layer of charcoal on top of this)
- Add your soil layer, deep enough to plant your roots
- Remove your plant from it's plastic container and trim the roots, forming a cone
- Plant your cactus and/or other succulents and add more soil to the top of the roots
- Add a layer of sand over the top of the soil
- Arrange larger pebbles/rocks and add your chosen decorations
Make sure you keep it watered and in sunlight! And have fun trying out different design layouts in your container. Its fun to change the scene every once in a while by changing out your decorative pieces.
And that leads me to....The Giveaway!
This time I will pick TWO winners who will each receive a small pack of decorative terrarium pieces. These packs include: 3 fireman, 3 policeman, 2 dinosaurs and 5 pink flamingos!!!
How to enter:
- Follow my blog and leave a comment below with your email address
For extra entries, do any of the following then leave a new comment below to let me know how you have entered (with a link to any tweets or blog posts):
- "Like" my Facebook Fan Page
- Follow me on Twitter
- Tweet about my giveaway (link to this post and include @littlegrayfox in your tweet)
- Blog about my giveaway
**EDIT** Giveaway winners announced HERE