Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Felt Necklace Tutorial

I made this little guy last year while I was working my booth at a craft fair. I had originally planned to turn it into a brooch. But then I never completed it; pushing it aside to work on other projects. So my little gray fox sat there, unfinished...until just last weekend when I finally turned it into a necklace! Here's a quick tutorial on how I did it.



I'm sure there are other ways to make this, including poking holes in the felt or using grommets. But I wanted to do something that wouldn't compromise the felt. So I chose to sew everything into the pendant. Once I had my felt piece, this project took less than 30 minutes!


Here's what I used:
  • jump rings
  • necklace chain
  • clasp/closure
  • stiff felt
  • eco felt
  • embroidery floss
  • needle
  • scissors
  • jewelry pliers
  • jewelry wire cutters

My felt fox was originally made with two layers of felt.


For the necklace, I decided to add a center piece of stiff felt and an extra layer of eco felt for the back. I chose to use the stiff felt in the center just to add a bit of structure. You could also use a piece of card stock paper. Just cut out the pattern and then size it down a bit so it doesn't peek out of your final piece.


Once you have all your pieces, sew two jump rings at the points where you want the chain to meet the pendant.


Then add a couple more jump rings on either side so they will hang outside of the pendant once it is sewn.


Next, use a basic stitch to sew all of your layers together. Be sure to sew around or through the jump rings. Don't lose them inside of your pendant!


Measure out the length of the chain you wish to use. Use your wire cutters to cut the chain in the center and add jump rings and clasps.


Add your chain to either end of your pendant and you're finished!



This is such a simple project! If you decide to try it out, post your link in the comments so I can check it out!

Have fun!

6 comments:

  1. That's super cute! It looks smaller in the last picture than I thought it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Also, I just have large hands :) haha It's actually about 2 inches wide and two inches at it's tallest point

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this little fox! You have inspired me to make up a little red fox. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous! I'd love to see it when you're done!

      Delete
  4. thanks so much for sharing this! adorable :) i must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so cute! i love making little felt creatures but i'm never sure what to do with them. excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails