Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holiday DIY: Painted Ornament Tutorial

Here's another simple yet cute ornament you can make with just a couple of supplies.

Just like my yarn ornament tutorial showed, you can start with a simple glass or plastic ball ornament, fill it with scrap yarn and add some acrylic paint.



 Gather your supplies:

  • yarn or fiber fill stuffing
  • acrylic paint in selected colors
  • small paint brushes
  • plastic or glass clear ornaments

For these ornaments, I used my scrap yarn leftover from my dandelion pom poms to fill the ornament. I also chose metallic acrylic paint for the penguin.






The penguin is very simple. First, paint the back solid and bring around to the front. Arch just past the metal closure and end at a point (around where you want the eyes).


Next, choose black paint and dip the handle of your paint brush to make the eyes. Dip a small paint brush in white for the dots of the eyes.

A small yellow or orange triangle, painted upside-down, makes a simple beak.


Add a wider triangle for each foot.

And that's it!

I also made a snowflake using simple lines and adding different sizes of dots on each line.


These make great last minute stocking stuffers! I'll be posting more simple tutorials for ornaments and other holiday decor over the next couple of weeks. Most will be made with fewer than five supplies or stuff you may already have lying around the house! Stay tuned!
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. That penguin is absolutely adorable! Thank so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute ornament! I love that blue penguin, he looks so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I forgot to mention you could use mini poms and pipe cleaner to make little earmuffs for him! You can also glue ribbon or felt around him as a scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute....can't wait to see your other ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know I featured this project in my roundup of glass ornament crafts here too. : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails